When it comes to the clothes for newborn babies, there are only a few essentials that they need, such as onesies, rompers, footed pajamas, bodysuits, pants, long-sleeve t-shirts, light mittens, caps, and socks. More than choosing the right baby outfit, pay attention to picking the right material as babies have sensitive skin. Priorities comfy clothes over stylish clothes, and when dressing them up, consider the weather to avoid discomfort.
The below guide provides detail on how to dress a newborn baby, during the day and at night. We have covered how to dress a newborn baby for hot & cold weather. What’s more, we have also included tips on how to change a newborn’s clothes effortlessly.
How to Dress a Newborn During The Day?
Dressing a newborn baby is quite simple. All you need to do is ensure the clothes are comfortable & cozy and take care not to pick newborn baby wear that is too tight or have buttons, rhinestones or other decorations that may lead to choking hazards.
Start with a Onesie or a Wrap Shirt:Onesies and rompers are the first choices for baby clothing as they come with snap buttons that make diaper-changing easy. A wrap shirt or a long-sleeve kimono is another convenient option. This shirt snaps across the front, so you don’t have to pull it over the baby’s head. It can be worn and removed with ease, which will keep the baby from being cranky.
Go for Footies:This is another one-piece babywear with long-sleeves and an in-built snap footie. It offers a snug, warm feeling, and the snap buttons (from neck to toe) are on the front, which makes post-nap diaper changing easy without distributing the child’s sleep. Also, babies are generally fussy about wearing socks, so this baby outfit solves that problem.
Add Layers:This depends on the season. A light onesie is a good choice for summers and will make your baby feel cool & comfortable. In winter, use a light sweater over a tee or onesie. Use mittens for their hands and a beanie for the head. However, don’t add too many layers or else the baby may feel stifled and become fussy.
Accessories:Soft caps will keep your baby warm, especially in the early weeks after the delivery, as babies tend to lose too much heat through their heads. Thin mittens will keep the babies from scratching themselves, while socks will keep their feet warm.
What Should a Newborn Baby Wear to Sleep?
Naptime for babies is extremely vital. Babies who don’t get sufficient sleep tend to be a lot crankier and fussy. Hence, make sure they are snuggly dressed for sleep, which will keep both you and the baby happy.
- In summer, dress the baby in a tee and a diaper at night. The attire is airy and comfortable. Soft cotton rompers are also ideal.
- Shorts & tee, onesies, or swaddles are convenient baby outfits for changing a diaper after a late-night feeding.
- In winter, footed pajamas or footies are the most preferred night attire for babies. They are cozy, warm and snug. If it is too cold, wrap a blanket over a soft t-shirt and tuck it properly to create a swaddle. A swaddle will keep the arms close to the body, but remember to keep it roomy around the hips & legs, allowing enough room for movement, so it doesn’t irritate the baby.
How to Dress a Newborn According To The Weather?
Newborns have sensitive skin, which can be affected by the changing weather. Protecting your baby from harmful seasonal elements is mostly about awareness and preparation. Whether there is a dip in the temperature or extremely hot, the right clothes will protect your baby and keep them safe.
Tips For Dressing a Newborn For Cold Weather
A baby’s immune system improves with age, and at the infant stage, their growing immune system can’t handle harsh winters. Hence, covering their head, hands, and feet during winter is extremely important. Soft beanies and mittens are super comfortable and protect the baby from the cold weather.
Long-sleeve t-shirts, full pants, and socks are a few other baby winter clothes essentials. For a toddler, opt for a hoodie, sweatshirt, or a light jacket. But, make sure they are made from skin-friendly fabric and free from harmful chemicals. The best baby outfits are made with either cotton or muslin.
Also, make sure the extra layers of clothing doesn’t overheat the baby. If your newborn has flushed cheeks or seems fussy, take off their mittens or coats immediately to make them feel better.
Tips For Dressing a Newborn For Hot Weather
When taking your baby out for a stroll or a ride in the car, make sure to dress them in lightweight, cotton, loose-fitting clothes to keep them cool. Don’t coop them up in tight clothes; instead, opt for bodysuits or short-sleeve rompers. You can add a hat to finish the look, which will protect the baby from harmful sun rays. Other baby outfits for hot weather includes jumpsuits, t-shirt & short sets, onesie, and lightweight swaddle.
Tips on How to Change a Newborn’s Clothes
During the first six months, a baby’s clothes need to be changed at least six to seven times a day. Changing a wriggling newborn’s clothes can be a task, especially if they are already crying. Also, babies cannot move their heads or neck, so it’s important to dress them with care to avoid accidentally hurting them.
Below are a few tips on how to dress & undress a baby with gentle, loving care.
- While dressing them in a t-shirt, stretch the collar open until it forms an oval or a circle wide enough to pass over your baby’s head. Once the clothing is safely over the head & around the baby’s neck, let go of each end gently.
- Pull the sleeves aside and gather as much material as you can. Hold the baby’s arm with one hand and gently guide the sleeve over their arm with the other while ensuring the sleeve doesn’t get entangled on their fingers.
- Once your child’s arms are in the sleeves, pull the remaining outfit down and around over their body and snap the garment in place. Make sure your hands or nails don’t hurt the baby’s back.
- Grab the cotton material from each side of the outfit’s collar while changing the baby’s shirt or bodysuit. This method is convenient and will keep the baby safe and happy.
While putting on pants or shorts, you may follow the same process of gathering the material. Ensure the baby’s entire torso, including the head and neck, is supported and remains stationary as you dress them slowly.
To Sum Up
With the variety of newborn clothes available, always ensure that you choose simple baby outfits over trending, uncomfortable clothes. Lightweight clothes made from cotton is the best choice for babies. Depending on the climate, you can dress your newborn baby accordingly. Note, winter baby outfits are not suitable for summer wear and vice versa. Apart from the clothes, make sure to buy mittens, caps, and booties. Also, remember that babies grow up fast, so don’t buy too many clothes that can’t be used in the long run.